Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Meeting old friends in Gaffney

After seeing the Gaffney giant peach water tower on I-85 today, we had the pleasure of meeting with the Rotary Club of Gaffney at Limestone College. President Cameron Hamrick presented an impressive book containing the club's plans and leadership plan for the 2011-12 year. The club will continue to offer scholarships to Limestone College students, but I saw a sparkle in several board members' eyes when discussing starting a new Rotaract Club at the college. I was pleased to hear the discussion about increasing membership and Rotary Foundation donations this year. 
 Today was also very special to me since I had a chance to visit with COL (Retired) Roy Mathis, a member of the Gaffney Rotary Club and a friend of our family for the past 40 years! Roy served with my father as a U.S. Army chaplain when I was in high school at Ft. Rucker, Alabama. I have fond memories of Roy and Nancy Mathis and was so glad to see him doing well today! 

Our Notable Rotarian for the Gaffney Rotary Club was Martha "Sissy" Brock, a member since 2008 who now serves as the Sgt. at Arms and Greeter. Sissy has been honored as a Teacher of the Year with the Cherokee County School District, served on the Cherokee County Commission on Alcohol and Drug Abuse for 39 years, appointed by Senator Harvey Peeler to serve on the local 7B Foster Care Review Board, named the Duke Power Citizen of the Year x 2, and a host of other accolades! Sissy, thanks for exemplifying Service Above Self in your club and our Rotary world!
I was pleased to present a 2011-12 theme banner to President Cameron Hamrick to encourage the club to focus with 20/20 Vision to "Reach Within to Embrace Humanity". AG Jeff Updike joined me today in Gaffney and Blacksburg, and I know he will be a great help in encouraging these clubs to strive to make a difference in our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment