Monday, July 11, 2011

Another enjoyable day in Clemson, SC!

After working a few hours at my office and rushing a security system installer out the door at our home in Greenwood this morning, Kathy and I headed to Clemson again to visit the "large" Rotary Club of Clemson. President Susan Hilscher had the board assembled and ready to meet when we arrived! This club has a great history - 5 Past District Governors, many shakers and movers in the community, and a great history of service to their community and world. I learned today that they have sponsored 9 Shelter Boxes last year to help disaster victims in places like Haiti and Japan. I also heard about an innovative approach to the Coins for Alzheimer's Research Trust (CART) in which local businesses and other special groups sponsor/match the donated funds each month. 

Our Notable Rotarian today was Past President Lance Young. I had the pleasure of traveling to Marcala and Copan, Honduras last year with Lance  on a Rotary Medical Brigade, to visit a water project, and assist with a Chagas Disease prevention project. Lance is an academic advisor and lecturer at Clemson University. He exemplifies Service Above Self in his club and is a Rotary Paul Harris Fellow and TRF Sustaining Member. 

The Clemson Rotary Club has a bright future! I am confident that they will make significant progress towards my 20/20 Vision by increasing membership and donating generously to The Rotary Foundation. I was pleased to accept a check from the club for our district's literacy work in Haiti. Go Tigers!  

No comments:

Post a Comment