Thursday, October 6, 2011

Encouraging the Rotary Club of Golden Strip Sunrise

Kathy and I arose early this morning (5 AM) to travel to the Golden Strip Sunrise Rotary Club meeting in Simpsonville. Since our daughter-in-law is still recovering from recent surgery, we again brought our precious granddaughter Christina to the meeting. I had the pleasure of meeting a new member of the club and introducing the club to Christina, a future New Generations Rotarian! Morning clubs are generally filled with Rotarians full of energy and ready to fellowship after getting their cup of coffee. The Golden Strip Sunrise Rotary Club was no exception. 

We enjoyed a delicious breakfast at Carolina Fine Foods. One of the members acquainted me with the high and low cholesterol bars in the restaurant. The "low cholesterol" section had huge biscuits, some "healthy" Southern gravy, eggs, bacon, and a few other items. I didn't bother to check out the "high cholesterol" section! 
President Todd Nichols made a few announcements, and a good joke was enjoyed by all. Members updated their activities and shared some great Happy Bucks comments. I  then had the opportunity to share my presentation with the club. Several members were very complimentary and felt inspired to seek new members and increase Rotary Foundation giving. I then meet with the board after the meeting to discuss their progress and offer suggestions for dealing with several issues. 
Longtime club member Marshall Nichols was recognized today as the Notable Rotarian. Marshall has been a member since1998 and was a Charter Member of the club. I have known Marshall for several years and know that he is the driving force behind the Rotary Night of Singing now conducted at Brookwood Church in Simpsonville. I had the pleasure of attending this event twice when they met at Furman's McCalister Auditorium a few years ago. Marshall was very surprised today when I announced the Notable Rotarian. I am honored to recognize such a great Rotarian and make a contribution to The Rotary Foundation in his honor!

No comments:

Post a Comment