Sunday, September 11, 2011

Visiting the Fort Mill Rotary Club

 President Brian Wilson had a large number of board members assembled when we arrived at the beautiful Fort Mill Golf Club. I was impressed with the club's plans for the 2011-12 year and the list of all the water projects completed in Central America. The Happy Dollar section of the program was also impressive as a multitude of members shared their good news and shared their pride about the University of South Carolina Gamecocks and the Clemson Tigers. I suspect the club will have a generous amount donated this week after two exciting victories this weekend by the Gamecocks and Tigers! 

Geri Rucker was recognized as the club's Notable Rotarian, but Geri was absent preparing for our first District Membership Seminar to be conducted that evening. Geri has been a members since 2003 and is a Paul Harris Fellow, Sustaining Member, and Benefactor. She has served as a club president, board member, Club Treasurer, Club Membership Chair, Scholarship Committee, Auction Chair, and attended many district events. She serves on the District 7750 Membership Development Committee. While I was sharing about Geri during my presentation, the club broke out in laughter. I struggled to discover why everyone was laughing and then noticed the last item on my slide for Geri: "Awarded the “coveted” Dan Mace Award presented to “The finest Rotarian to fill out a dress other than Joel Burns in drag.” I suspect that the Fort Mill Rotary Club has some fun in their meetings! They also have a huge impact on our world! 

I have always wanted to visit the former PTL theme park in Fort Mill, but ran out of time to see this famous venue. However, we had a great Membership Seminar facilitated by PDG Myles Golden that evening. About 40 Rotarians showed to learn how to grow their club's membership and retain current members. I have never seen so many people at a district membership seminar, so I suspect we are going to have a great year with my push to increase membership by 20% (10% net growth)!  

No comments:

Post a Comment