Monday, August 8, 2011

Visiting with the North Spartanburg Rotary Club

We enjoyed meeting with the North Spartanburg Rotary Club today and had a lively discussion with the board. I consider a major portion of my job is to help educate and share ideas learned from other clubs. I was pleased that the board had so many questions as well as ideas to improve the club and especially to enhance membership. PDG Bill Monroe (1994-95) came to hear my presentation and enjoy a great meal and fellowship at the Clarion Hotel. Bill served as the District Governor the year that I joined Rotary, so he has heard a few DG presentations! Bill was very complimentary today, but I want to see if he comes back tomorrow for his club's official visit in downtown Spartanburg! 
The Notable Rotarian for the North Spartanburg Rotary Club was Markus Bolliger. Markus was a charter member and actively involved in the club since 1966. He is a Paul Harris Fellow and Sustaining Member. During his term as club president, he doubled the club's membership! Markus was named the Rotarian of the Year in 2002 and has served as the club's historian. He was the first club president to attend the RI International Convention and establish this as a tradition. I remember several years ago when Markus was instrumental in organizing the first Spartanburg High School band tour of Europe and an Interact Club. The club is blessed to have you, and I hope you can generate some ideas to allow the club to grow at least 10% net this year!
 President Wilton Jordon has a well organized team for the 2011-12 year, and I can see that he is planning to have a great year with strong membership growth and support of The Rotary Foundation. I challenged the club to bring in some New Generation members and consider new fund raising ideas. Thanks for providing us with such a great first day in Spartanburg! 

No comments:

Post a Comment